PDA

View Full Version : EV1Servers.Net more money than sense

haideral
03-14-2004, 04:09 AM
Having read this eWeek story (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1547704,00.asp) it makes me wonder why Everyones Internet (http://ev1servers.net) is getting mixed up in all this SCO mess. It should be concentrating on giving is users the best value for money rather that getting embroiled in this SCO vs Linux with Micro$oft funding the action and EV1 fanning the flames.

It is really counterproductive and not adding any value to the consumer at large.

Haider.

incka
03-14-2004, 05:47 AM
Is it SCO that is claiming linux copyrights? I hate them so much... Linux is copyrighted to Mr Linus and no one else.

haideral
03-14-2004, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by incka
Is it SCO that is claiming linux copyrights? I hate them so much... Linux is copyrighted to Mr Linus and no one else.

Well, SCO is claiming that Linus and the other Linux developers somehow stole the Unix code to put into Linux. They conveniently forgot that going back to the first K&R C book in 1979 that many examples from the Unix source were given as C code also there was the excellent Pike book too, from about 1982 that also had lots of code snipits. Besides, there are only so many ways to skin a cat, so there is bout to be some code that looks similar.

To my recollection, Linus based his code on the Doug Cormer book "Xinu" from PHI 1986, which I have the original somewhere.

So, this SCO claim that somehow Linus or others plagiarised Unix is somewhat suspect, and does rather reek of last week's fish to me.

What I have read on the eWeek web site, is that IBM (which bought an AT&T SysV license for original its AIX) has enhanced Linux with some Unix source.

But, the point is that to date SCO has not said what specific lines of code they think are the ones lifted from "their" Unix are.

That is what I find really funny, what do people like Brian Kernighan, Denis Ritchie, Steve Bourne, Richard Pike, et al think of all this. Unix was their baby back in the good ol' 1970 all crafted very nicely at the Murray Hill, NJ Bell Labs.

I have to say, this sort of action by SCO does make me sick to the stomach and just makes me think that someone is out to get the free software community!

Shame on them whoevery they are! Right Uncle Bill?!