PDA

View Full Version : Platform Question

Batgirl20
06-22-2009, 03:45 PM
I am a complete novice when it comes to website design. I created an event specific, free site that got what I consider an okay amount of traffic to it.

The site I used was free and the tools were basically idiot proof so I could do what I wanted pretty simply. Since the site was successful I would like to create a site for the same event next year but want to make it much more interactive and better.

The basis of what I want to do would involve having a list of events based on day and time that would allow a registered user to click an item and have it added to their own calendar that would be unique to their site login. I have no idea where to start or what platform to even begin to learn to create something like this. I have briefly looked at Microsoft Visual Web Developer but am very confused.

Any advice anyone could give me on a development program or where to start would be most appreciated.

Chris
06-25-2009, 08:59 AM
There may be out of the box calendar software for something like that. Or you could have it custom developed. In either case it isn't likely something you'll be able to do with a WYSIWYG editor, you'll need to learn programming or hire someone who can program.

karks
06-25-2009, 10:07 AM
A couple things you can do -

1. If you create the site using WordPress, there are some calendar plug-ins that may do what you are looking for. The plug-ins are pretty easy to setup and integrate well with the software. www.wordpress.org

2. A more simple solution would be to use a service like www.calendars.net

chipstorm
07-29-2009, 02:34 PM
This calender script (http://www.phpjabbers.com/multi-availability-calendar/) seems like exactly what you are looking for. Unfortunately, it looks like they are charging for it, but that may be worth for what you are organizing with your next site. At least it beats having to program this yourself or using an external site instead.