PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Help

rajeevmalu
05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Hello

This is my first post in this Forum. I own a small business and wanted to have a website for the business . I had paid a developer to design a the website for the purpose but now i want the Website "indianheritageinc.com" to appear on google search engine. i have basic understanding how the meta tages work but please advise me as to how to increase the chances of this website atleast appearing on Google.

please help..

Dan Schulz
05-10-2009, 01:03 PM
First thing first, and this is by far the most important question - what market are you targeting with your Web site? Are you restricting yourself to India proper, Indians living in other countries/regions, non-Indians who are interested in purchasing (for whatever reason) Indian attire, antiques and other products?

Once I know what market (or markets) you're trying to compete in, I'll be able to advise you on how to target the keywords (via research, analysis, proper placement, and link building tactics which many so-called "gurus" and "experts" don't want you to know) that will bring you great rankings, qualified direct traffic to your Web site and ultimately higher sales.

rajeevmalu
05-10-2009, 01:53 PM
thank you Dan.
I am currently based in NJ USA. i would like to target the american market here, also, i am ready to ship goods to as far as india if required. therefore, i would request you to please guide me with the key words and other ideas. also please guide me to at least have my website when typed in google to show up with the domain name. i have already registered the website with google webmaster. please help.

Chris
05-10-2009, 05:21 PM
So you do have a Google webmaster central account?

You really should be at least showing up on a domain name search, you do not, so I think you may be banned.

Make sure to read the SEO guide on this site.

You would be better server to have a different domain. You should optimize your title tag to use words people search for. Do people really search for "indian fashion" or would "indian clothing" be better? What about "hindu clothing"? Did you do keyword research to see which phrase is more popular?

And of course, get a logo that has your name on it, not "My Store"

Otherwise, your software is SE friendly, so then you just need to build links. (though, product page title tags could also repeat the main store title tags in addition to the product name).

Dan Schulz
05-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Yep, the site appears to be banned. Hang on, I'll see what may be causing this "blockage" here.

(Looks. No robots.txt file, so that can't be it. WHOIS appears to be fine, but BlueHost being the "owner" of the domain does worry me a bit. I'd seriously consider acting on Chris' suggestion of going with a new domain name for your store. I'll do some free research for you to see what I can come up with and send the results via PM if that's okay with you.)

rajeevmalu
05-11-2009, 06:38 AM
thank you guys. so the domain name is a problem then .so please help me change the domain name so that it appears on the search engine list at least.
please help.

Chris
05-11-2009, 08:03 PM
step one will be to go to a registrar and get a new name, ideally using keywords Dan generously said he would research for you.

Dan Schulz
05-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Which I will be doing first thing tomorrow morning. (Just watched the best Chicago Blackhawks game in years!)

rajeevmalu
05-12-2009, 12:28 PM
thank you everybody for the feedback..
i wanted to know about Google AdSense and how does it work. How much does this cost ? how do i post links of my website ?
also, i would request feedback on posting or advertising on forums or websites.
please help.

Dan Schulz
05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
AdSense is an advertising network available to Web site publishers. It doesn't cost anything (other than time) to start, and pays the site owner (you) when you have accumulated $100 in either click-throughs or page impressions (payable for every 1,000 impressions).

I'm still looking up keywords for your niche, but I am noticing that most of the AdSense costs are pretty cheap. This doesn't surprise me given the commercial nature of your market, which means that as an ecommerce site owner it wouldn't make sense to include, but would be very cheap to advertise on via the AdWords platform (that does cost money, though).

With regard to advertising on forums, it's generally frowned upon. I happen to be a SitePoint Advisor (forum moderator), and I've had to remove more than a few advertising/"spam" posts/threads from the forum. Some forums (such as SitePoint and here) have dedicated marketplaces or categories where people can advertise. As long as you stick to those areas (such as the Marketplace board here or the SitePoint Marketplace, for instance) and follow the rules, you should be fine.

rajeevmalu
05-15-2009, 08:21 AM
well the news is that my website appears when typed in google but i would want further marketing about it. please help.

rajeevmalu
05-18-2009, 07:04 AM
i have tried some free techniques like posting in forums , putting the website on fliers but they would not help. I Request anybody of you to kindly guide me about what my next strategy should be. Also, please tell me how do i create the Robot.txt file .
please help.