PDA

View Full Version : Getting my files back

Mike
03-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi all,

As some of you know a few of my sites are down; so I would like to move all the files to a different server. But, I can't access my FTP space either.

Does anyone know of another way?

Thanks,
Mike

incka
03-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Take this as a lesson: Always Back Up Your Websites!

Chris
03-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Don't you have copies on your PC?

Mike
03-09-2004, 10:09 AM
No, I make the homepage on my PC but thats it. I just change the content in the FTP editor.

I only have a backup of MP3 Player Reviews...

GCT13
03-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Uh oh. Will you every get FTP access again?

Mike
03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
I hope so...but at the moment I don't know. This is the problem with going with cheap hosts:)

The main host site is down atm as well.

chromate
03-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Mike
This is the problem with going with cheap hosts:)

I'll second that! Dathorn servers at thePlanet datacenter are down, meaning my site is also down. Great. I think I'm going to move away from Dathorn. This is the second time this has happened.

Mike
03-09-2004, 11:34 AM
It would also help if there was...

a) any support
b) a phone number
c) an email that works.

incka
03-09-2004, 11:52 AM
I need hostony to be only 24/7, but theres only 2 people who actually are technical (and they are the most friendly), and they both are only online 9-5:30 UK time and only week days... If I don't get it sorted tommorow I'm taking a day off school to get it sorted.

MarkB
03-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Mike, do you have shell access?

incka
03-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Hostony are 24/7, just the live chat isn't...

Mike
03-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by MarkB
Mike, do you have shell access?

Think so yes...could I get them back that way do you think?

Thanks,
Mike

Westech
03-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Yes, you should be able to. It could be simple or more complicated depending on what applications are installed and what you have access to. Can you run ftp from the shell? (Just login and type ftp at the prompt to find out.)

If you'd like, I'll be happy to set up a temporary ftp account so you can send the files to it, then download them to your PC.

Kyle
03-16-2004, 10:46 AM
I've been VERY happy with experthost. www.experthost.com.

No, i do not get commission for saying this :)

Mike
03-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Westech
Yes, you should be able to. It could be simple or more complicated depending on what applications are installed and what you have access to. Can you run ftp from the shell? (Just login and type ftp at the prompt to find out.)

Which prompt? I can't connect to FTP atm...

Thanks,
Mike

Westech
03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
The shell prompt. If you have shell access (and if it still works,) you can use SSH to log into the server (using a client program like puTTY.) This will give you a command line interface into your account. From this prompt, you may be able to type 'ftp' (without the quotes) and ftp your files to another ftp server so that you can retrieve them from there.

rocky1
03-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Doesn't sound good Mike! My mentor experienced this problem once. He cussed and swore for months afterwards!

I took that as a sign to make several backups and have always kept a copy in at least 2 locations, either on 2 computers before having a CD burner, or now on computer and CD. Have never lost the info on my server, but the CD has saved my bacon more than once in issues of lost files on my harddrive.

Mike
03-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Looked at puTTY but don't really get how to use it. Thanks anyway Westech :)

chromate
03-17-2004, 02:26 PM
just type in your domain... so:

msn-emotions.net (for example)

and then select SSH... then connect and type in your user name and password. You're then in shell. It's useful to get used to working in the environment, because it's much more powerful than FTP.

Westech
03-17-2004, 02:27 PM
No prob, Mike. If everything else is down you probably won't be able to get in through SSH anyway.

Good luck getting it all sorted out.

Mike
03-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by chromate
just type in your domain... so:

msn-emotions.net (for example)

and then select SSH... then connect and type in your user name and password. You're then in shell. It's useful to get used to working in the environment, because it's much more powerful than FTP.

Hi Chromate...

I really don't know what to do here, so here's an obvious question for you. Where do you type your URL in?:p

If it's puTTY? Which puTTY? There's a few to download there, i've downloaded one.

Thanks,
Mike

chromate
03-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Errmm.. not sure what putty you have. Do you have a category list down the side? If so, click on the one that says "session" and then you'll get the options you need.

If you've changed your dns information then you wont be able to log in via SSH using your domain anyway. You'll need to use an IP.