PDA

View Full Version : Desperately need help publishing

rpcrazy
04-12-2009, 06:20 AM
hey guyz i would appreciate some help, i'm trying to get this up by monday and i honestly thought it would easy, but i'm missing a bit of key information.

sigh...ok
What I want: To be able to type www.gbmassage.net or gbmassage.net and be directed to http://gbmassage.net with my index.html(or whatever i name it) show up as home page.

What I've done:
1. i've bought the domain gbmassage.net through cheapdomain.com
a. e-mail is correctly setup and forwards to correct address
2. I've bought webspace through a webserver "Precision Effect".
3. I've uploaded my collective website(in pages) named Index-whatever.

My dns is still through cheapdomain.com, should i transfer it? I'm at a loss of what to do now, obviously if i go to gbmassage.net nothing comes up. The only thing i came up with is url redirect to the url it goes to when i view my index.html page in the webserver control panel. But that obviously doesn't work because i get this huge url address and than anyone not logged in gets asked for a password. i'm confused, please help!

Chris
04-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Yes, you need to set up the DNS.

Ask Precision Effect what their DNS servers are (usually like ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com)

Then go to your cheapdomain.com account and change them there.

That is how websites and domains work. You buy your domain, then point it to your host's nameservers, and your host makes sure that the files from your account are then served when people visit that domain. The nameservers in a way actually tell what the IP address is (or, which physical server if you find it easier to visualize) that your site is on. It is the glue that holds the domain and site files together.