PDA

View Full Version : Review: AllPosters.com Affiliate Program

Chris
03-08-2004, 07:20 PM
AllPosters.com is one of the Internet's most popular poster and art stores, and they have a great affiliate program. Their program is well established and self-serviced (odd in these days with most merchants using programs like CJ, Befree, or Linkshare). They pay reliably and have a variety of tools for implementation.

AllPosters.com's affiliate program offers standard links to any product they sell (and they sell a lot of products). The also offer somewhat-dynamic links, though nothing on the level of what Amazon offers. A system like Amazon's "keywords recommends" would benefit AllPosters.com greatly but it isn't something they offer. They do offer a way for you to create ads that visually look like those from Amazon but you must add the products manually. They also have an automatic storefront generator that creates static html pages populated with product images and links.

By far the most powerful offering is the product feed. You can download product information from an individual category, or the entire site. The feed includes image information and affiliate links. You can even download category structure information to replicate AllPosters.com's category structure on your site. You can use this feed to add product information to your site on a large scale, or to make to a standalone affiliate site like http://www.4fineart.net

The best part of AllPosters.com's affiliate program is the commission. They pay a whopping 25% to start out with and you can earn as high as 30%. They also offer co-branding if your site provides enough traffic and revenue. Now 25% on a $10 poster might not be that much, but AllPosters.com also offers framing, and frames can get expensive. Since there is no commission cap if someone orders a large framed print you could expect a commission in excess of $50. The minimum payment amount is $20 for a check but you can use your commission to make purchases from AllPosters if you prefer.

AllPosters.com will not be appropriate for all sites, college, movie, or art sites will be the most likely to find success. However due to the high commission rate there is potential for all sorts of sites to make money.

Give WebsitePublisher credit for your referral by signing up for the program through this link (http://www.websitepublisher.net/scripts/out.php?LinkID=90).

Originally posted at: http://www.websitepublisher.net/article/allposters/

Chris
03-08-2004, 07:26 PM
I will be writing an article, including code, on building a php site around their datafeed soon. I did mine in only a few hours though so the code isn't that complicated.

GCT13
03-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Great, looking forward to the tutorial.

incka
03-09-2004, 12:26 AM
I was planning to do one a few months ago for classroom posters. Can't wait for Chris' article.

michael_gersitz
03-09-2004, 06:02 AM
Yeah, Me too.

Guarenteed you will get a whole bunch of new sites all of a sudden popup...

pas
03-09-2004, 03:32 PM
What datafeed? The databases you can download? I'm not aware of anything else. Importing the databases required quite a bit of finessing.

I've been an AllPosters affiliate a long time. Haven't made much at all.

Chris
03-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Yes the databases. It was quite simple for me to implement. I don't mean to sound condescending or anything but it took me less than an hour to build the db. I do have alot of experience with doing this sort of thing though. I've written robots that crawl websites, extract data, and populate a database. So in contrast populating a DB from a delimited text file is pretty easy.

pas
03-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Well, yeah, it IS easy. I was referring to the data itself. For me, there were a lot of bad characters, invalid values, missing fields, etc. that caused importing to choke. But MySQL is more accomodating to funky data (I'm using PostgreSQL).

pas
03-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I don't mean to sound condescending or anything but it took me less than an hour to build the db. I do have alot of experience with doing this sort of thing though. I've written robots that crawl websites, extract data, and populate a database.

As have I. Plenty. BTW, great book on that here:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/spiderhks/

incka
03-10-2004, 12:35 AM
If I get some time free from building websites I might try making some robots and having fun with MySQL...

I must also say that alot of other companies do data downloads, so don't all go for all posters. If your from the UK look at Tradedoubler as that has database product downloads for loads of WORLDWIDE companies such as Dell.

chromate
03-10-2004, 03:54 AM
PaS, could you let me know what site you're using the poster affiliate on? I'm just interested to see.

Chris
03-13-2004, 11:24 AM
I implemented this program on artist-biography.info and even though the site gets only a 1-2k page views a day I'm selling about a poster a day. Some more expensive $20-$30 dollar ones too.

chromate
03-13-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm half way through doing an allposters affiliate site based on photographers. I'm finding that a lack of sub-categories is a problem. For example, floral photography has over 1k posters in it. Not very manageable for a user. Stupid got excited and bought the domain name without thinking it through properly :) I'll probably try and complete it anyway.

Chris
03-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Well, what I did was use the author or artist field as a category.

reviewum.com
03-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Chris,

AllPosters looks like a pretty good opportunity. I've been searching for options to give to my users on my site www.reviewum.com (professor reviews & teacher ratings).

I'd like to sign up and give you some credit for your hard work. Are there any other programs you can suggest for a student / college website?

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Chris
03-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Rob you need to keep your signature, in your actual signature (check your profile).

I've had great success with essay programs with college websites, but I do not know if you want to go down that route. SearchFeed (see the review here) pays a good CPC rate for essay ads.

MarkB
03-27-2004, 09:42 AM
I tried allposters for my Ultimate Metal site ages ago without success. But I think I just used it incorrectly (ie, putting up a banner and expecting people to buy stuff!). I may give it another go, on a smaller scale (ie, strictly Metal artists. They have quite a few pages).

Gliebster
04-13-2004, 02:21 PM
I made a PHP/MySQL script for AllPosters.com's datafeed.

Details here: http://www.easyposterstore.com/free-php-script

I also made a remotely hosted version if you don't have a site or your host doesn't support PHP/MySQL: http://www.easyposterstore.com/free-hosted-store

intelliot
08-18-2004, 11:10 PM
I just created a new PHP/MySQL script using their datafeed dump (currently using NewProducts_ALL only, but can use ImageInformation_ALL with just a little modification). See it in action at http://www.banneroffice.com/posters/products/
(SE-friendly URLs, too) - let me know if anyone's interested.

statix@ftc-i.net
08-19-2004, 04:44 PM
I tried allposters a few months ago and had a good experience in implementing it and such, my only complaint was the tye of posters I wanted to display just wasn't there, and was forced to abanon it. Other than that, if you could find the type of posters you want to display, then its a great opportunity.

pierrebenoit
09-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Did somebody try to use datafeeds in a blog?
I would like your feedback