PDA

View Full Version : Moving Content

mobilebadboy
02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Ok, I'll try to explain this to not confuse, but will explain with made up keywords.

I have domain A, bunnies.com. Bunnies is the targeted keyword.
I have domain B, automobiles.com. This domain has a directory of /bunnies/.

Of course, neither are related. automobiles.com has some "strength" for its topic, which I believe, with linking from its pages to the directory, is helping /bunnies/. There aren't really any links to this directory's pages.

bunnies.com has little to no content, little to no inbound links, little to no strength.

If I move the content from /bunnies/ to bunnies.com, is there any chance for it to make it? The actual content really doesn't come up in any SERPs, it's mainly for specific searches for the actual bunny name; not bunnies in general, white bunnies, black bunnies, etc.

Not like tools (if that was bunnies), or hand tools, or power tools but "Dewalt Tools" (again, made up).

But most every page comes up high, now, for that specific search (or near specific search). The ones that do are typically 2nd or 3rd only behind the "named search" brand. They're first, I'm right behind them.

The reason I ask is, I'd like to sell bunnies.com. But if it had good content to go along with it, and it's a niche I'm trying to get out of, I feel it would sell better. The domain isn't the best, but if you removed one small word you'd have nothing but the keyword(s).

Sorry to be cryptic. Some of Chris' blog posts would explain why.

Chris
02-21-2009, 06:53 AM
So, you're saying the content does well right now as a folder on an unrelated domain, and you want to know if it'll continue to do well on it's own premium domain?

I say it is worth a shot, 301 redirect it of course.

mobilebadboy
02-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I want to remove all the current content off the unrelated domain/folder to the related domain. Sometimes I like to over explain, usually people tell me I dont explain enough. :p I may give it a shot.

Dan Schulz
02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
I'll second what Chris said, Shawn. Go ahead and grab the domain, then 301 the original URIs to their (soon to be) new home.