PDA

View Full Version : Adsense tracking

chromate
03-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Is anyone using the adsense tracking script that's going around at the moment? Apparently, it's completely within the terms. Haven't tried it myself yet, but it looks like it's going to be pretty useful until google get their act together.

kdb003
03-04-2004, 09:14 PM
yes i am using it on a limited basis

it was very easy to set up

incka
03-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Does it track what links are clicked?

ozgression
03-05-2004, 12:31 AM
www.adsensetracker.info - Is this the script you are referring to?
________
medical marijuana doctor (http://mmjp.org)

incka
03-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Yes, it is also available at www.adsensetracker.com

chromate
03-05-2004, 03:17 AM
Yeah, I'm using it too now. It is seriously easy to set up. I'm glad I did set it up too! Things aren't quite as I was expecting. Great tool :)

chrispian
03-05-2004, 11:05 AM
This looks like a great tool and I'd love to use it but, despite chrome's claim that this is withing the terms, I google has been VERY picky about Adsense. Has anyone confirmed this is okay with Google? I just don't want to ge my ads banned :) I mean, I can't see any reason why this would be banned, it doesn't modify the code. However, Google seems hell bent on not allowing us to know more than they tell us about our stats.

chromate
03-05-2004, 11:18 AM
I think that the initial request has been buried behind all these great improvements to the code, but I wanted to confirm that this concept is indeed in line with the Terms and Conditions. I would suggest that, if you're passing your confidential information to a third party for logging, you make sure to use due diligence in selecting and trusting such a party.

This forum really is a great place for cooperation and information transfer!

ASA.

Adsense Advisor who posts on WMW and works for google said the above about the code behind it all.

But I'm like you - I don't wanna be risking anything :) I might even stop using the code now I know the general pattern of who's clicking what. Though, having said that, it *is* within the terms anyway, so it's not something they could ban you for anyway. I would say it's safe.

Yoda
03-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Wow; did this just come out? It's going to make my life a lot easier. Pity it can't calculate CPC, too; it'd be nice to know which sites are more lucrative on a CPC-basis. Still, great script.

Yoda
03-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Hmmm; anyone else got it tracking views, but not clicks?

chrispian
03-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Good to know it's okay to use this. As much as I would like CPC, I'm more concerned with knowing which sites are sending all the traffic so I can figure out which sites ar worth investing more time in and which ones either need work or need to be dropped.

Thanks for clearing it it up, and what a great script. Good job!

Dan Grossman
03-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Do you have the tracking code placed after the adsense code? The AdSense iframe has to exist before the tracker can find it to track clicks on it.

chromate
03-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey Dan, welcome to WP! How long have you been lurking for? ;)

Dan Grossman
03-05-2004, 06:15 PM
As long as this post showed up in the referrer logs for the site. Now I'm trying to get permission to use the AdSense trademark so that it doesn't get shut down by Google. Hope all goes well; a tool that helps publishers increase CTR by analyzing performance is of benefit to them and their advertisers after all.

kdb003
03-06-2004, 01:11 PM
This is pretty useful, but sometimes I get multiple click records for the same click. Perhaps you could add something to the code that checks if there is already a record from within 10 seconds for that click.

incka
03-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey Dan, welcome to WP! :)

Please post around, it is far better than site point in some ways as it is for people who want to make money off the web, while site point is for anyone who makes websites.

Dan Grossman
03-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Ahhhh, you want to add another forum to my daily rounds? There are just so many good ones :)

Mike
03-06-2004, 02:51 PM
heh daily rounds :)

The script is real good, when I'm making some decent money with adsense I'll probably use it.

incka
03-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I will set it up when my server is fully online.

Dan Grossman
03-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Get it while you can. All the Google employee activity at my site makes me think I'll get a cease-and-desist letter shortly for using adsense in the domain and script name. Unfortunately if they send it to the address on the WHOIS I won't get it for a couple weeks... hmmm...

incka
03-06-2004, 04:06 PM
I'll download it now. I thought a google employee OKed it?

Dan Grossman
03-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Use of this to track adsense sure. Me using a Google trademark in my domain for a site about a Google service, no.

incka
03-07-2004, 01:59 AM
I bet google-watch.org don't have permission to use google in their domain...

Dan Grossman
03-07-2004, 02:02 AM
It depends on the use of the trademark. There are some things you're not allowed to do which I border on:

Display a Google Brand Feature as the most prominent element on your web page;

Display a Google Brand Feature in any manner that implies a relationship or affiliation with, sponsorship, or endorsement by Google, or that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest editorial content has been authored by, or represents the views or opinions of Google or Google personnel;