PDA

View Full Version : These domain parking pages

Mike
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I forgot to renew one of my domains a few months ago. It wasn't a great domain, the site was old and one that I wasn't too bothered about losing, and it didn't contain any keyphrases. Basically, I could probably find a better one and pick it up for $10 right now.

I tried accessing it the other day and was presented with one of these domain parking pages. I submitted an offer, and a few days later I was told that the owner had placed a reserve of $1400. All this for a domain that had a poor site on, and one that contained no big keywords.

Couldn't believe my ideas, if anyone buys that they're barmy! Surely they're just trying to rip people off with these?

agua
01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
I agree - stupid prices, but people buy them - I think its some kind of reverse psychology.

Normally you can register a similar, if not better domain for $10 and brand it.

Blue Cat Buxton
01-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree - stupid prices, but people buy them - I think its some kind of reverse psychology.

Normally you can register a similar, if not better domain for $10 and brand it.

Do people buy them though, or is it just someone trying their luck?

agua
01-28-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm sure some get bought... look at other things people buy for no apparent reason :)

Blue Cat Buxton
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I guess I have a lot of domains that I bought (impulse purchases) without too much thought, but never for $1000!

agua
01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
No - me neither... but I have thought about it at times... which is why I think some people have probably done the deed

Chris
01-29-2009, 06:34 AM
I've bought a few domains for more than a grand. All were good though.

chainmail.net when the owner of chainmail.com refused to sell.
onlineliterature.com because I needed the non-hyphen version of my most popular site
surcoats.com for a future project.

I've also sold online-orienteering.com for more than a grand, I thought that guy was crazy though. It definitely wasn't worth that.

BGray
02-02-2009, 12:55 PM
I couldn't disagree more. Domains, especially .com keyword domains (and .net and .org to an extent), are the most finite resource for web publishers. I've bought easily over 500 domains that cost $1k+ and have acquired more than a handful that are $50k into the 6 figures.

I have development plans for all of them even though it might be several years down the line. They produce direct navigation traffic which is the most potent traffic available. I don't buy them for resale but when the right offer comes along I'm not stupid either. Last year I profited well into the 6 figures from domain name sales I'd bought to develop.

Blue Cat Buxton
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Sure for domains with good key words, but there are also a lot of second rate domains where the price expected is OTT