PDA

View Full Version : Two Site Into One (Long).

iKwak
02-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Hi,

I am operating Cal Poly Forums (forums) at the moment and trying to start a content site - Cal Poly Online.
Cal Poly Forums is located in the index directory itself, hence the ---forums.com. The new Cal Poly Online site is in the index directory and I was thinking, I should start using Online and transfer the forums to Online (www.calpolyonline.com/forums/) so that I can start building a brand identity.

And I found a perfect portal hack (vBadvanced at vb.org) to start the new idea.

Well, do you think I should keep the two sites separate as it is, or will combining the two sites into ONE the better idea for the long run (years and years down the road)?? The site is non-commercial and non-profit but I would like to create a brand identity spending on advertisement.

I would like all the administrators input. Thanks for reading and ask any questions. :)

iKwak
02-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Ooops. I don't think this topic belongs on SEO forum.

chromate
03-01-2004, 07:02 AM
I don't really think it makes that much difference. It's a bit like what sitepoint.com do. They have sitepoint.com and sitepointforums.com

MarkB
03-01-2004, 07:39 AM
Although their forums now run from www.sitepoint.com/forums/

iKwak
03-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Sitepoint recent transferred their forums into sitepoint.com.

Wondering if I should do the same. Pros/Cons?

Mike
03-01-2004, 01:47 PM
I don't see what benefit they have by doing that actually...

MarkB
03-01-2004, 02:45 PM
I think just to keep it under the SitePoint.com branding.

*shrug* :)

Chris
03-01-2004, 02:45 PM
There are pros and cons.

Putting them together might help lend traffic to your content domain.

Keeping them seperate would make it easier to sell one or the other (and not both together) at a later date.

If you don't plan on selling them seperately, ever, keep them together.

ozgression
03-01-2004, 11:10 PM
I'd say keep them together. Because:

* Your stats look better (so you get advertisers easier - if you want them). Two sites stats consolidated into one.

* It builds "branding".

* People are more likely to sign-up at your forums if it is part of a site they are familar with (and trust).

Just my opinion, though :)
________
K125 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_K125)

fonzerelli_79
03-02-2004, 10:06 PM
im having the same dilemma just now - but just redirecting the forum name to domain.com/forums/ - the forum domain name is easier to remember which is why im keeping it

iKwak
03-03-2004, 12:05 AM
I love to start branding the site, although it is non-commerce.

But the idea of going through SEO all over again...might be time consuming. Don't know how long the changes will take effect on DMOZ and Google Directory. And all the indexed pages.