PDA

View Full Version : DNS Forwarding, masked forwarding etc. Noob help :)

Fragmad
11-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi all. Sorry for creating new threads right after joining, but this seems like an awesome forum and I need some help.

Okey, here's the deal:

Me and my friend got a well known problem, we registered a domain, and it forwards to my IP (I'm using Apache 2.2). But in the adressbar my IP shows up instead of the domain name. I understand we need a DNS server to mask the IP?

The question is, where do we go from here? We already registered the domain name we want, but the site we bought from does not offer this DNS service that we need. What do we do? Do we have to buy a new domain and DNS package? Or can we just buy a DNS service somewhere that will solve this?

If you'd like you can see what I mean, the site is: www.wherethemoneyflows.com (ignore the content, not the real site) :p

pjsmith
11-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Hi,

You can indeed get a separate dns service for your domain name. Microtech www.mtgsy.net offer this. Actually, it can be a benefit to keep your dns separate as it gives you the freedom to point the name wherever you want in the future if you change providers.