PDA

View Full Version : Strange Google Results

Mike
10-31-2008, 06:39 AM
Over the last day or so I've seen some really strange google results. For popular terms, I'm seeing PDF files and pages from google books appearing in the top few results. Basically, the results seem very poor.

Has anyone else seen anything?

Chris
10-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I would just guess they are experimenting, but those don't sound like useful results to me either.

Mike
10-31-2008, 02:15 PM
They've got even more bizarre as the day has gone on. For one term, the whole first page of results is made up of search results from the SAME site. Then the next second, they're back to what they were yesterday.

Hope it's just a glitch, can't cope with losing rankings again.

LocalPhotoRatings
11-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Sounds like some one needs the Sucicidal WEBMASTER Hot Line LOL

Its okay mike just add a few more keywords and some links on other sites you own and your problem just maybe fixed . . . with out you bashing your head into the monitor L:idea:L

. . . . .

Hope it's just a glitch, can't cope with losing rankings again.

ZigE
11-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Matt Cutts confirmed there was a glitch. I saw some crazy results, that were made up of pretty much only universal-search results (youtube videos, pdfs, subpages ranking where they shouldnt have been.)

I don't consider those rankings indicative of anything coming in the future. Some data went into the index without all of our quality signals incorporated, and it should be mostly back to normal and continuing to get back to normal over the course of the day.

bermuda
11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Sometimes the effects and strange results you are seeing in Google is something related to the data bases information transitions and you have arrived in the middle of the show. At some other times you might be seeing the results got from your ISP pages which are old.

Usually there is nothing to worry about in such cases and everything will be resolved automatically in a day or so.

TryUsOut
11-13-2008, 09:50 AM
What particular search terms? In Google.com.ph, I don't see any PDF results. Datacenter issues perhaps?

mack77
11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
I remember seeing this as well, pretty bemusing

hairycaterpillar
12-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Yeah I noticed that for a few evenings. I was doing searches and getting sites with little content, parked pages with often little relevance to my search queeries and lots of loosley related 'looped linked' sites. Very poor results. It's ok now though. Me thinks google had a gremlin!

abusinessfinder
07-29-2009, 01:23 AM
It was most probably a production incident, which should be resolved by now.
It happens :) .