PDA

View Full Version : AWS-ish sites...

Nick
02-23-2004, 10:17 PM
I havn't jumped on the AWS bandwagon yet. I have, however, created a site that is fed off of a datafeed from an affiliate program.

http://www.synthguide.com

I incorporated my review script into it as well. My question is, should I duplicate this site and put out like 6 other versions of it? What I mean by that, is have similars site that feeds off of the same datafeed and review-script database, but instead, they target different audiences.

So for example, I could have a site called trance-producer.com. Users of either site are in the market for the same product, but for different reasons. Synthguide.com would appeal to more of a general musician audience, whilst trance-producer.com would, of course, appeal to trance producers.

I would then follow through with the same method for several other sites that target different audiences who are in the market for the same products. Rinse, and repeat.

How does this sound to you guys?

GCT13
02-23-2004, 11:10 PM
So this feed doesn't have price info? And is that scrollbar "Maker" area on the right SE-friendly?

Sounds like a fine idea. What would differentiate the sites? Different products? Articles?

Nick
02-23-2004, 11:38 PM
It does have price, but I just havn't put it up yet. Yeah, that scroll-bar is just some jazzy css work. Completely seo friendly. Look at my source.

Well, each site, along with its sister sites would focus on the same products, and offer the same exact content(from a human perspective), but in a different format. And each site would appeal to different types of consumers.

So site A would feature DJ turntables, but would be called HipHopGear.com and be presented in a HihHop style to appeal to the hip hop DJ's out there. Site B would be TeachnoDJ.com, and would appeal to Techno DJs. Both DJ;s use that same equipment, more or less, so both sites would feature the same equipment. They would also both feed into my review database.

In the end, the only thing that actually changes from site to site are the looks and the way that it's presented.

GCT13
02-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Nick
In the end, the only thing that actually changes from site to site are the looks and the way that it's presented. From my vantage, there needs to be more differentiation between the sites, like different articles, etc.

MarkB
02-25-2004, 01:37 PM
I see you're using zZounds too :) I wrote my own php/sql system for its feed as well (see link in my sig).

Nick
02-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Heh,

Yeah. I bought a couple domains a few days ago to set up my zzsounds feed on.

Can I ask how well zzounds program is performing for you?

chromate
02-26-2004, 04:51 AM
How did you two get to know about zZounds? Was it from the same source?

MarkB
02-26-2004, 05:04 AM
Nick, Google hasn't indexed my pages as yet - so nothing so far.

Chromate: found out via ABestWeb.com :)

Nick
02-26-2004, 10:15 AM
I'm still waiting to get indexed as well.

Chromate, I'm a producer, so I've know about zzounds for a while now.

By the way, it took my FOREVER to parse that datafeed into a database.

MarkB
02-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Really? I did mine in about an hour... I'm going to use similar methods for other affiliate programs (once I can find some decent ones;)).

What kind of music do you produce?

PS - looks like Google sucked up my site last night...

Nick
02-26-2004, 03:26 PM
phpMyadmin parses the feed automatically, but my host was having permission problems, so I wasn't able to get it in there easily.

I mainly produce deep-house, detroit techno, hiphop/pop music.

edit: My domain resolved. Looks like we're officially competitors (http://www.guitar-discount.com/)now! :eek:

chromate
02-26-2004, 05:16 PM
Shame they don't ship to the UK :) I could do with a new guitar amp. Though, I bet the shipping would be mega expensive because they're so heavy.

MarkB
02-26-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Nick
phpMyadmin parses the feed automatically, but my host was having permission problems, so I wasn't able to get it in there easily.

I mainly produce deep-house, detroit techno, hiphop/pop music.

edit: My domain resolved. Looks like we're officially competitors (http://www.guitar-discount.com/)now! :eek:

Thief! :p

BadAssRocker
03-31-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by MarkB
I see you're using zZounds too :) I wrote my own php/sql system for its feed as well (see link in my sig).

How the hell do you use that datafeed shtuff? I got the datafeed from zzounds, but I have no Idea how to use a database or anything...anybody have some help for me? My site, badassrockers.com gets a very good amount of hits and I don't get any coversions! I'd like to figure this crap out so I can make a little from that site...

chromate
03-31-2004, 02:03 AM
Do you know how to use PHP and MySQL? If not, you'll need to learn it or some other type of scripting language and database.

How is it you're getting so many hits (Do you mean hits or visits?) There's nothing on your site apart from affiliate links. Unless I'm missing something?

BadAssRocker
03-31-2004, 12:23 PM
Do you happen to know anywhere I can get a good tutorial or something?

I get alot of traffic because I have alot of other pages, but I don't have them linked to the index page until google spiders again.