PDA

View Full Version : SEO and directory structure

Mr. Pink
10-28-2008, 06:07 AM
I am currently adding an entirely new "chapter" to one of my early sites. Basically, the new chapter is going to be a virtual museum and it will eventually (hopefully) have hundreds of items, each item on a separate page.

These will all be static pages. I do have a question regarding SEO, though.

does it make any difference if I put all these pages in my root directory, or if I build a sub-directory for the virtual museum and put all these pages inside of it?

Thank you...

Mr. Pink
10-30-2008, 06:09 AM
Hello, again...

I was kind of hoping for a quick reply to my inquiry, above, because at this point I put my project on the back burner, until I get a definite answer (so I don't have to fix things later).

If anyone knows a definite answer on this, I would appreciate a quick reply.

thank you...

Dan Schulz
11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
If they're all related to each other and a will be an integral part of the main site (like Chris's SEO Guide), then I'd put them in a subdirectory. If they're going to be part of the site, yet distinct on their own (like Yahoo Sports or News), then I'd use a subdomain.

Chris
11-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Sorry PInk, I was really busy the week you asked that question and must have missed it.

On this issue I worry about organization and easy of usability first, and SEO second, because honestly any SEO impact will be really minor.

the difference between

example.com/museum/exhibit1.html

and

example.com/musuem-exhibit1.html

is almost nonexistant.

There comes a point where you want to stop making deeper and deeper directories, but at level 1, it shouldn't concern you.

I would do the directory.

bermuda
11-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Hi, regardless of the ways of choosing the way for keeping your newly added web pages, it is of great importance helping the search robots finding the new locations and this is done via using text links from your other pages to the folder or pages developed and the other thing is mentioning the newly added web pages addresses in the Sitemap page.

Mr. Pink
11-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Thank you all for posting answers to my inquiry. I decided to do a separate directory for that category (i.e. a "virtual museum" on my existing site). This "museum" will eventually have hundreds of pages and I can already see how it will be much easier for me to manage the "museum" if it is in its own directory.

I did make sure all internal links are easy to follow by human visitors and search engines alike, and placed all the new pages on a sitemap, too, like bermuda pointed out.

Thank you all for your time. ;)

TryUsOut
11-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I use to be in the same predicament Mr. Pink. After reading come notable comments and advices, I might change one of our sites as well. Thanks for bringing up that subject ;)