PDA

View Full Version : Gambling affiliate programs

Mr. Pink
10-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I run a few info sites that are related to gambling, gaming and playing cards. I receive frequent email offers to accept this or that gambling affiliate program and place links on my site. So far I've always declined these offers. Here are the reasons.

First of all, I don't trust gambling sites. How would I even know if I was getting paid all my affiliate commissions? (In fact that could be a general question with regards to any affiliate programs).

Secondly, a couple of years ago the US passed some laws to ban gambling on the internet. So, I know for sure that I cannot run a gambling site, but I am not really sure if I am breaking the law if I am only an affiliate of an off-shore gambling site. Does anyone know how the law stands on this?

Also, related to this whole issue, somehow I have ended up on the mailing list of some international gambling affiliate company, or whatnot. I receive a glossy looking magazine every month or so. I usually just put that piece of literature in the recycling bin, but every so often I leaf through it.

What I've noticed is that all these gambling affiliates have several international conventions every year. There are a lot of success stories (which I always take with a grain of salt) but the fact is that these affiliates seem to travel to all these international destinations just to attend seminars and to exhibit at these conventions. So, I guess they must be making good money as gambling affiliates after all.

Does anyone here have any experience with gambling affiliate programs? And, if so, what information (or clarifications) would you be willing to share?

ScoresToSMS
10-08-2008, 02:03 AM
So, I know for sure that I cannot run a gambling site, but I am not really sure if I am breaking the law if I am only an affiliate of an off-shore gambling site. Does anyone know how the law stands on this?

Promoting something illegal in your State is illegal itself as well.

You should seek some legal ways to monetize your sports related traffic. There are many.

Mr. Pink
10-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Promoting something illegal in your State is illegal itself as well.

What you say sounds right to me.

You should seek some legal ways to monetize your sports related traffic.

Just as clarification: no sports-related content on my sites, just playing cards.

Anyway, I think this is all too much trouble and uncertainty for me, so I am leaning towards ignoring gambling affiliate programs, as I have done in the past. I have too many other ideas, for other niches, that are not questionable in any way, so I am going to focus on those ideas.

Thanks for your input, though. ;)