PDA

View Full Version : Found a bug (I think) in the CSS on this site

Mr. Pink
10-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Up until now I've always designed my sites with static HTML and tables. Now that I've discovered this site I want to learn more about designing with DIVs and CSS. So, I made a copy of this site's home page on my HD, along with a copy of the CSS, to study how it all works.

I've discovered that the site does not open 100% correctly in IE, on a Mac. I know that IE for Mac has not been updated since 2003, and that hardly anyone on a Mac uses IE these days, but I still believe that there is no reason why a site should not be checked against as many browsers as possible.

To make a long story short, I found a small bug and also figured out a fix that seems to work for all browsers.

The bug displays itself on the top navigation. In IE on Mac, the burgundy strip extends over the vertical black line, on the right, at the edge of the container.

Here is the fix:

On line 111 I changed the #header width form 1000px to 100%

On line 157 I changed the ul#nav width form 1000px to 100%

Once again, I kind of just played around to see what it does and found that the change from 1000px to 100% in both instances fixes the bug in IE for Mac and also makes the site appear correct in all other browsers that I checked. But since I only own a Mac, I did not check on a PC.

Chris
10-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Well, I don't do any design testing on IE for mac... but I guess I can make those changes. Thanks for pointing it out.