PDA

View Full Version : Which domain would be better?

MattM
02-20-2004, 09:24 PM
I have a prospective domain I've been thinking about. The only choices available are:

keywordkeyword.net
keyword-keyword.net

Now, you'll are probably going to say go with the first one, and that's what I was thinking also.

I decided to check both domains with Adsense, just to see what would come up with those keywords in the domain.

I checked keywordkeyword.net and only received PSAs. I then checked keyword-keyword.net and received paying ads.

Now, that probably doesn't have anything to do with SEO and Adsense, but I wanted your input. Which domain would you think would be better? This would be for another AWS site.

Chris
02-20-2004, 09:36 PM
From a pure SEO perspective the hyphenated one is better. You could buy both but for an AWS site (which is definitely not permanent) it isn't a big deal.

Mike
02-21-2004, 02:20 AM
Not permanent? You heard something about google and AWS Chris?

rocky1
03-08-2004, 12:33 AM
Definitely the second. As Chris states from an SEO perspective the first is not a good choice.

incka
03-08-2004, 01:00 AM
SEO is not always everything... Some sites get none of there traffic from there homepage thru search engines.

chromate
03-08-2004, 11:20 AM
I would definitely go for keyword-keyword.net. If you're not planning to market your site offline, then just go with the hyphen and benefit from the keywords.

I think it can actually be really beneficial to have the hyphenated domain in some instances with AWS. For example, I've sold quite a few cookware sets now. I'm sure having the hyphenated cookware-reviews domain has helped. As always, it really depends on exactly what it is you're doing. It may not matter at all. It's hard to tell without actually knowing what your words are :)

Speaking of AWS. BREAKTHROUGH - I sold my first digital camcorder yesterday!!! :) Only cost $329.99 but at least I've broken through the zero sales thing for that site :) lol

incka
03-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Well done Chromate! How is your dating site going? Are you part of Mrs Gardeners webmaster mailing list?

chromate
03-08-2004, 04:17 PM
Eh? Mrs Gardeners?

The dating site will take an awful lot of growing before it gets anywhere. It's such a competitive competitive field. But I think it will be worth it in the end.

incka
03-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Rosalind Gardener, she was the talk of sitepoint's advertising forum a few weeks ago, here dating site earns here more/as much as Chris.

chromate
03-09-2004, 04:50 AM
Really? I'll have a search back through the forums and see if I can find it.

chromate
03-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Oh yeah. Well, she must have more than just 101date.com Cause that site can't do much.

I do think that once my site gets going it will work out well for me though. But it will take some effort. Getting it off the ground is always the toughest part.

incka
03-09-2004, 05:45 AM
I'm in her mailing list, she emails the list basically every day with LOADS of tips, and when I say loads...

chromate
03-09-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm signed up too now. Thanks for letting me know about it.

LuckyShima
03-19-2004, 09:49 PM
If it's an AWS site you can also use free subdomain with free hosting such as:
http://mfv.freeservers.com/
which I found on a search for 'braun blender' (google no.4)