PDA

View Full Version : A new beginning.

Shawn
02-19-2004, 07:56 PM
After many e-mails, PMs, and IMs, I might as well post here for everyone to see what's up.

Yes, I've sold Wireless Phone Reviews and Mesothelioma guide. They weren't working out for me -- I'll leave it at that. I won't get into details, so don't ask.

I have new projects up and running with a few more on the way. The ones that are up are doing quite well. I've been betrayed by individuals close to me who have stole ideas of mine, stealing domain names, etc., so I'm not going to announce the sites just yet. I'll give them time to grow first and make sure I have a strong setting in the markets they are in before releasing them.

Next order of business: No, I'm not dead. I've been on vacation. I've been spending a lot more time with Holly. I've been addicted to XBOX Live. I've also been working with clients on their websites, something I love to do most of the time. A website for a client pays all of my bills plus some for the month, something that advertising does not do -- yet.

Changes since last time I posted:

I now have a registered company. I bought a flat screen television. I bought an iMac. I bought an XBOX and some games. I bought a new computer desk. I bought 4 new domains. I cleaned. I go to the YMCA more often. I flirt with the college girls there more, as well. They're beautiful. I sleep when I want. I think I'm going to start using Tribal Fusion again. I'm wearing shorts, sandals, and T-shirts and it's February -- if it isn't warm, I'll just pretend it is. I wash my car almost daily. I'm eating out more. I'm on the computer 80% less. I rarely check SitePoint now -- it's all the same. I'm going to stick mainly to Website Publisher.

I wish Website Publisher had more people. I wish Chris would re-design it when he got a chance -- it doesn't display properly on an Apple.

That's all.

Chris
02-19-2004, 08:00 PM
I might try making some mesothelioma money now that you've sold it -- those adsense bids were outstanding.

Shawn
02-19-2004, 08:03 PM
They are lowered now. The highest bidders (according to Overture) used to be around $62, but now the highest bid is around $37 or something. Of course, that's still oodles of money -- but tons of competition.

I respect you for not creating a site like mine while I had it. It says a lot.

Chris
02-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Whats wrong with the display?

GCT13
02-19-2004, 08:06 PM
High drama from Mr. Weeks. I want to know which betrayers stole what. I want names and URLs!

Shawn
02-19-2004, 08:06 PM
No drama. And to make sure there is no drama, I won't release the names and URLs. Also, let me know when you release that site so I can see the header I created in use.

Chris: Nothing that conflicts with real information -- it's just the navigation tabs up top are higher than they are on a PC -- it covers the Website Publisher logo and the slogan below it.

incka
02-20-2004, 02:28 AM
The mesothelioma market of websites is overcrowded... Theres only 2000 new victims in the US every year and have you seen the amount of websites... A friend of mine from site point launched another one yesterday:

http://www.mesotheliomacancerguide.com

I agree with Shawn, I don't like the design of this site much, I prefer something like Site Point.

chromate
02-20-2004, 04:11 AM
Sorry your other projects didn't work out for you Shawn. I thought they were doing well for you, at least, up until that google crash.

I agree with you about sitepoint. It's just re-hash of the same stuff all the time. But that's just down to the size of their user-base. If there were more users here, then I expect it would be the same.

Whilst the design of WP isn't "beautiful" it is very functional and user friendly. I find that the design does have a certain "character" about it too which I quite like. Maybe first time visitors to the site wouldn't be able to appreciate that though, at least until they see the quality of the content.

I wish there were some nice girls when I was at uni. Only about 3 on my computer science course! ONE of them was hot and you can imagine the attention she got being the only one :) lol

Hope those new projects work out better for you! Oh, and I want one of those iMacs! Did you get the 20" one? Those screens are beautiful and just beg to be designed on!

incka
02-20-2004, 05:03 AM
I agree with chromate on WP being far better forums than SP. Everyone is a hell of a lot friendlier here, and you always get help. We could do with a few more users, but I wouldn't like it as much if it was as large as sitepoint.

r2d2
02-20-2004, 05:35 AM
The nav tabs at the top are over on the left using Konqueror on Linux too... Not a problem, just a heads up :)

I prefer it here at WP too. Learnt a lot from SP, and am very grateful to the forum guys there, but as has been said, its mostly just the same stuff all the time..

Design of WP seems ok to me - only thing I think I would change would be the top logo bar...

chromate
02-20-2004, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure. I kind of like it. It's quite retro. Makes a change from the normal tech like sites. Dunno. It *works* that's all I care about :)

Chris
02-20-2004, 08:33 AM
My original goal for the design of this site was not to attract programmers/tech people, but to attract business owners.

chromate
02-20-2004, 08:46 AM
That makes sense. Seems like it's been quite successful too in terms of attracting those kind of people. Well, I think pretty much everyone here at least aspires to the idea of making a living from publishing their own web sites.

Instead of just getting more general users, it would be nice to have more users around that have actually attained that goal and are successfully running their own companies from publishing sites. I think you're the only one here doing that so far, Chris. :)

However, I think many of us are now well on our way to achieving that goal, and that's testament to the value of this site, its content and its community.

incka
02-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Business owners are better... Site point is filled with grumpy programmers...

r2d2
02-20-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by chromate
Instead of just getting more general users, it would be nice to have more users around that have actually attained that goal and are successfully running their own companies from publishing sites.

Trouble is, once you've been there and done it, forums arent such a valuable and motivating resource they once were...

I agree though, there are more business people here, who see websites as a means to and end, rather than 'the end'. If you see what I mean :)

incka
02-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Yeah, when I'm 18 I plan to sell the websites I have and set up a housing estate building company.

I don't build websites now just for the end of building websites, I build them to make money.

My main problem is spending money... I just can't make myself spend anything...

Chris
02-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by r2d2
Trouble is, once you've been there and done it, forums arent such a valuable and motivating resource they once were...

I agree though, there are more business people here, who see websites as a means to and end, rather than 'the end'. If you see what I mean :)

Thats true in a way. I rarely use forums to get help. However even though I'm the one answering the questsions I still find them invaluable. The reason is that they keep me up to date on news and trends in this industry. Forums are my newspaper.

r2d2
02-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I appreciate that you do still help people, prolly the exception that proves the rule though I think :)

Theres always gonna be more 'beginners' than 'pro's' though...

incka
02-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I used to be asking all the questions, now im doing about half, half... I get asked quite a few questions by PM for some reason... I like it as a newspaper, but the problem with newspapers is you read them and read them and don't work..

ozgression
02-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Thats true in a way. I rarely use forums to get help. However even though I'm the one answering the questsions I still find them invaluable. The reason is that they keep me up to date on news and trends in this industry. Forums are my newspaper.

This is exactly my situation. I get all the latest news/trends relating to ad networks and seo. I very rarely ask questions, mostly answer them.

I also agree that this forum is better than sitepoint's, despite the smaller userbase.
________
host and design (http://hostndesign.com)

MarkB
02-21-2004, 12:06 AM
I think it's apples and oranges: WSP is for people wanting to monetize their own sites; SP is for people wanting to make money from building the sites for other people.

(Ok, rather generalised descriptions:)).

The only thing I don't like about SP is there's a lot of:

"Who has had success?"

"Me! Lots of it! I make millions!"

"Ooh, how?"

"I'm not telling you - it's MIIIINE!"

Again, very generalised! :D

incka
02-21-2004, 05:19 AM
Yeah... How many thread there say 'Who makes over $1000 a day apart from Aspen?' and 'Who actually earns a living online except Aspen?'... Really annoying...