PDA

View Full Version : absolute pathnames - forward slash urls

ileblanc
09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't even know if I titled this properly. I have a situation that I need help with. I'll run down the basics, then ask my question.

Company A - parent company based in Sweden
Company B - same company based in US

Company A is controlling all subsidiary websites. Company B needs a different site for it's consumer products. So the consumer can get to product info immediately, not information about the company in general.

Wesite is: www.companyA.com

Company A wants Company B to call it's consumer site www.companyA.com/consumer

My questions are - does the forward slash path mean it's a temporary page like a promotion? where can I get information regarding this - as being a bad idea?

Company A wants company B to put that forward slashed url on its marketing material. Company B does not want to do that.

I'm with Company B and need help proving that this is a bad idea.

Blue Cat Buxton
09-10-2008, 12:42 PM
It would be harder to promote www.companyA.com/consumer in printed material, but it does not mean that it is a temporary / promotion page.

As an argument look at what other big corporations do, take Nokia. They have a portal at the .com that directs visitors to a local site ie .co.uk for the UK etc. That would be one way to do it so you dont loose visitors (assuming the parent is not going to give you the .com)

ileblanc
09-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the response. We have looked at different companies that way. Problem is that we are okay with Company B's site being pointed to the US. However, Company B needs 2 sites. We operate B2B and B2C. It's the 2nd site that Company A won't let us have.

What I'm really looking for is the reasons it would be harder to promote, etc. I don't know where to get this information.

Chris
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
The ending slash is purely optional. I happen to prefer using it. I think it ends the URL nicely, but it isn't required.

The more important thing is that you pick one way or the other, with or without, and be consistent throughout your site.

Chris
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
oh... wait I misunderstood.

Yes, it will be harder to promote.

Most directories and search engines key on domain, many directories will not allow multiple listings of URLs of the same domain, and many search engines will not list multiple pages from the same domain prominently on the same search engine.

So, for promotion, it is definitely better to have different domains.

ileblanc
09-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks Chris,

Is there any data supporting why it would be harder to promote? I'm completely at a loss at where to obtain this information from. I spent all day yesterday looking and didn't come up with anything concrete. I know it would be harder to promote, but I need data to support my claim. Any advice or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.