PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party emailer

Starting Big
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
I want to (have to) offer the option to job-seekers on my job board to sign-up to be notified by email whenever jobs are added to the categories they choose. Could a 3rd party emailer (such as MailChimp) be configured to do such a thing?

If you know the answer to the above question, perhaps you'll know the answer to the question below...

Kind of the same question, but maybe not...could a 3rd party emailer also mail applications from the site to employers as applications are submitted?

Thanks,
J

Chris
09-09-2008, 05:19 AM
I would use feedburner.

Set up a simple RSS feed for each category, set it up with feedburner, and then let them handle email delivery. Keeps it our of your hair, off your server, no need to pay someone, etc.

Starting Big
09-09-2008, 06:40 AM
I will definately look into feedburner. The first question that pops up in my mind is what kind of limitations do they have...if my site catches on even a little bit, I could be sending several thousand messages a day. Thanks for bringing this alternative to my attention!!!
James

Chris
09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
no limits AFAIK. I have a 12k member daily list I use them with.

Starting Big
09-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Chris,

From what I understand, emails would be sent once a day vs. throughout the day every time a new job is added to a category a candidate is subscribed to?

Is the opt-in/out done thru your site or feedburner's?

Blue Cat Buxton
09-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Would the feed method not mean that either all applicants/job seekers would get details of all new jobs, or they would need an individual email for each category?

Chris
09-10-2008, 11:33 AM
New updates are emailed as they happen.

The opt in/out is throughf eedburner.

You'd need to set up 1 feed per category.

Also, by doing it with RSS, you give your users the option of just subscribing to the feed, or getting it delivered by email.

I plan to add this sort of feature to my coupon site when it is redone, a feed for each merchant.

Starting Big
09-15-2008, 04:46 PM
To make sure I understand...my users would have to go to feedburner's site to opt-in/out of email notifications for each category? There isn't a way they can do that from my site?

If this is the case, I'll have to come up with something else, because that might be too much trouble for the process, especially when all the competition has opt-in/out on their site. If only I could afford to start with a dedicated server......

Chris
09-15-2008, 08:13 PM
No no, Feedburner provides all the tools for opting in on your site.

Opt out is through a link in the emails, which is to feedburner, but who cares? Its just a 1 click link.

And again, by using RSS, you give them multiple subscription options.

Starting Big
09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Sweet!
TY