PDA

View Full Version : need advice on my design.. it doesn't look right.

svenny1
09-06-2008, 04:57 AM
Hi everybody, iv'e been building a sinats row 2 fan site in the last couple of weeks and have ran myself into a small problem.. the site doesn't look right, the grey box seems to stand way far out, iv'e never been great at the designing stage and just would like some opinions on what i could do to make it look better?

Please feel free to elaborate on any points made

http://www.therow2.com

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers, Dan

flyfamilyguy
09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
It's difficult to help without seeing your style sheet, but I would say, just move your 'leftnav' over to the left more.

svenny1
09-06-2008, 04:21 PM
It's difficult to help without seeing your style sheet, but I would say, just move your 'leftnav' over to the left more.

yeah thats kinda tricky due to my whole layout. :( i will give you the link to my ss 1 sec.

http://www.therow2.com/style.css

Cheers again bud.

Blue Cat Buxton
09-07-2008, 03:22 AM
I would agree about the grey box; it looks odd because the grey box is not inline with the right hand side of the title graphic.

If you cant move the grey box over, you could add a left and right 'edge' all the way down the page so it makes the gey box look right

deathshadow
09-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Design wise, so far you've got a piss simple layout. I'm with the crowd on the centering and that grey box, it just looks wrong. I'd either lose it to go all black and to hell with any oddball centering, or put it behind the entire content area.

Your heading is very pretty, BUT - it's too big. 800x600 users you are pushing the content clean off the first page... and people do NOT go to websites for goofy graphics or pretty layouts, they go to websites for the CONTENT - pushing the content off the first screen or to the bottom third of the screen (1024x768) is NOT a way to land repeat visitors.

Whenever I review a website, I touch upon the codebase - and with 125 validation errors, it's not an auspicious start as what you have here is gibberish, NOT HTML.

That you open HTML, HEAD and BODY TWICE would be a good place to start cleaning up your code. That menu is a total train wreck of code and invalid markup to boot - especially since you should be nesting an UL inside there and not flat dumping a classed DIV in there. Not closing the LI when the other ones are closed is a mis-match of markup styles, and you really don't need two wrapping DIV around it. (hell, if that's all you're going to have on the left, you don't neven need ANY!)

Basically, a 12k HTML file for 3k of actual page content tends to be made of /fail/ since it should probably only need a fraction over half that.

ethan0904
10-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Hello I am new to all this and as being only 14 go easy please

started this site to try and make some cash and didint know anything about designing a website before i started (not a great deal now) but i have come to the end of my knowledge and not getting anywhere fast.

could you give me your feed back and ideas please dont slate it though as i know its not great !

webwander (http://webwander.co.uk)

Also any ideas of getting a page rank and increase traffic ?

josh_ervin
10-02-2008, 01:11 PM
The site looks fine to me. I love the header image. All in all I like it and it's usable, which is the most important thing.