PDA

View Full Version : .biz or .ws for Information site?

incka
02-19-2004, 11:28 AM
It's an information site, a review type thing, but not of a particularly commercial product, so .ws or .biz... I think .ws is more appropiate... I can't have a different keyword, so don't say get a different domain.

Chris
02-19-2004, 12:33 PM
definitely not .biz

incka
02-19-2004, 12:38 PM
Yeah... I always thought the .biz domain was rubbish, even when they were choosing the new TLDs. I also think .name should have been .per. And why do the aero industy get there own TLD? I think ICANN need to do some answering...

DaveM
02-19-2004, 04:00 PM
.ws for sure.

Must be a highly sought after keyword incka? If there is no .info or anything else available :)

incka
02-20-2004, 02:21 AM
If there was .info I wouldn't have asked... I'm even using a dash, theres is absolutly no ones without it...

eMEraLdwPn
02-20-2004, 12:18 PM
what is .ws for? i've never even seen a ws site

MarkB
02-20-2004, 12:53 PM
website, I think.

Worst. TLD. Ever.

:p

chrispian
02-20-2004, 12:59 PM
.ws = Western Samoa
http://www.iana.org/root-whois/ws.htm

It's a country domain (Like .us or .uk or .ca)

MarkB
02-20-2004, 01:05 PM
ahhh

still the worst, though :p

chrispian
02-20-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't much care for most of the country extensions when they aren't used for country related sites. But that's just me ;)

incka
02-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Yeah... A relation of mine who makes money doing what Shawn Weeks does, making websites for other people, not designs but proper websites with online shops and stuff, thought .TV actually was a television domain a few years ago when I was talking about it... I said no, it's a pacific countly like Tuvalu.

PS: Nice to see someone using IANA. One of my favourite websites...

MarkB
02-20-2004, 03:19 PM
The only reason I don't like .ws is that, phonetically, it's a bit of a stumble. Imagine reading it out to someone on the phone - dot-com, dot-org, dot-info... nice and easy.

Dot-dubbya-ess? Ick.

rocky1
03-05-2004, 09:48 PM
.info = Information
.TV = Tuvalu
.ws = website http://www.register.com/domain-rules.cgi?1|3834329654|

Although it does seem mighty odd that the .ws for website is listed under the country domain listing!

Dan Grossman
03-07-2004, 01:10 AM
I'm a big fan of .info. I like how it sounds, and I have successful .info sites -- visitors have no problem remembering the domain.

incka
03-07-2004, 01:57 AM
I'm a big fan of it now too, but when it isn't available...

chrispian
03-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by rocky1
.info = Information
.TV = Tuvalu
.ws = website http://www.register.com/domain-rules.cgi?1|3834329654|

Although it does seem mighty odd that the .ws for website is listed under the country domain listing!

.ws is a country domain. It has been "adopted" as website just as tv is being billed as "television" sometimes. It's just not true. IANA controls country domains and .ws is correctly listed under countries. Now, the sponsoring country can do whatever they like with it, that's their business. Register.com is not an authority on domain extensions, they are a selling agent and can put whatever spin they want on it. Even the .ws domain itself "claims" to be website and surely enough, most people think that's what it means. There is no harm in billing it as such, but the fact remains it's a country domain.

rocky1
03-07-2004, 11:57 PM
I submit to your wisdom Chrispian, was looking at that with a great deal of doubt myself, as indicated it is quite odd that it would be "website" and listed under the "country" extensions.

Was bouncing it around in another forum with a gentleman very wise in ways of the web, pointing the discrepancy out, and he pointed out the following as well ~

"I see what you mean by the WS example. That should be West Samoa. You will notice another one in the list that looks funny too, and that is the ST extension. They list it followed by (SiTe) which has nothing to do with São Tomé and Principe...well not that I could see anyway. "

His take on this listing at Register.com ~ "It kind of appears that the document had some type of Acronym or Abbreviation filter on it when it was written. And WebSite is in the definition list (along with West Samoa), but WebSite precedes the other alphabetically. "

We did however find the specifications for the different extensions very interesting and have to wonder if some of those aren't geared toward existing technology in those countries.