PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with website

chickeebabee
08-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Ok...I have had my website for years. It was ranked well and had a good PR (it was a PR4 at one time and the other pages were PR3)
Google dropped my PR to 3 but I was fine because you could find me on my keywords.
Since Oct 07, Google has dropped my PR to a PR2 and most of my other pages have no PR at all.
I have a Google webmasters tool page and look at it. It has all of my pages indexed and says everything is fine. I do not think that I am banned, because most of my pages are indexed, but you can only find me on two very low keywords. Some of the sites above mine are just silly.

I have backlinks...more than most of the other sites. I have not paid for any links. I have nothing illegal on my site.

Also, if you type in Snuggley Heating Pad I am number 1
If you type in Snuggley Heating Pads, I am nowhere.

Someone said if you type in your keywords plus your site you can see how well you are doing. I typed in microwave heating pads + snuggley heating pad
You can not find my site, but you can find other sites that link to mine.

So....can someone look at it and just see what is going on? Is there something that I am missing.

The website is www.snuggleyheatingpad.com
And my key words are heating pad(s) and microwave heating pad(s)

Thank you very much!! :)

Farmer77
08-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Have you been selling links? Or linking to bad sites? My guess is maybe you did some heavy link building at the beginning by submitting to directories and stopped. Overtime, those directories died out and so goes the backlinks. And I have reason to believe that Google is giving directories much less influence on your PR in the last update.

chickeebabee
08-06-2008, 09:00 AM
I have not sold any links nor paid for any links. I did do a lot of link building in the beginning and I do not do that much now. The thing is is that I have more links than my competitors. When I look at my competitors links (because maybe those links are real strong) they are not strong at all...so I am confused.

Thank you for the reply! :)

Chris
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
You could always try a reinclusion request but sometimes algorithm changes can just punish sites. It has happened to me.

Consider also now a good time to do a complete redesign and overhaul, that has worked for me in the past when a site gets dumped on.

deathshadow
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I think Farmer77 hit it on the head. Pagerank is just a measure of how many people are backlinking to you - funny thing is it's not even a good indication of page health or value despite the current craze/obsession with it. Check on sites you know are/were backlinking to you - or run a drive to try and get websites to link to you - that's what pagerank is.

That said, being that it's put together in frontpage 6 I'm suprised it shows up at all in searches given the amount of... cruft search engines need to discard to index the site. 21k of markup for 3.5k of content is a bad thing - roughly three times what should be needed for that layout.

You could be seeing your page devalued in search results just because of the invalid markup, non-semantic markup, or more specifically other sites selling similar items that do not have these issues and making use of things like keyword highlighting, semantic markup and content-first layouts.

chickeebabee
08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I have been doing a lot to the site. Re-doing meta tags and dumping my links pages. I was told that could look like a no-no. I figure that I do not have much to lose. I am still ranked well with other search engines, so I am just cleaning up stuff.

Should I use another website template? My dad has used template monster. Should I use one of those. Do they put a bunch of junk in the html coding?

oshforum
08-09-2008, 03:59 AM
i think your site is good now,don't worry about it

organ
08-10-2008, 02:40 AM
all my site pr are drop. I don't care! I still earn money.

chickeebabee
08-10-2008, 09:20 PM
What I did is I still used Frontpage, but I did not use one of their themes. I did not choose a theme, I just made a color background and a font background. It basically looks them same,but you just do not have all of the mstheme stuff in the html coding. It looks good...atleast I think so. :)

yyj
10-21-2008, 07:48 PM
What I did is I still used Frontpage, but I did not use one of their themes. I did not choose a theme, I just made a color background and a font background. It basically looks them same,but you just do not have all of the mstheme stuff in the html coding. It looks good...atleast I think so. :)

Try to use CSS style reducing your HTML code of the website

bermuda
11-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Is your problem just PR? Try forgetting about that if you have seen some improvements in your site's rankings and placements on the web. Google is editing its algorithm for calculating the websites PR values on the web and it might have devalued many of the links pointing at your website but as mentioned rankings are more important.