PDA

View Full Version : Anybody found a shopping cart script to use with AWS?

RockNRollPig
02-16-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm using PHP to run my AWS site and was wondering if anybody has found a shopping cart that integrates well. I know MrRatt's script has one but I'm not using that script. Any input on this would be great.

flyingpylon
02-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Do you want to have users add items to a local cart and then transfer it all at once to Amazon for checkout? Do you sell Marketplace or Third Party items?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then forget about a local cart for now. I wrote one for ASP only to find out that there are some problems on Amazon's side that really limit the functionality available, to the point where it's just not worth it.

If you're just selling new items that come straight from Amazon then perhaps a local cart is worth the effort. Unfortunately I don't have one to recommend.

RockNRollPig
02-17-2004, 08:11 AM
I just want users to add items to a local cart and then tranfer it all to Amazon. And I only sell new items straight from Amazon.

chrispian
02-17-2004, 08:28 AM
The shopping cart is built in to the AWS system. Mr. Rat's cart uses that functionality. If you want to add it, you'll need to find a php script that uses that from Amazon. I haven't seen one that does yet.

chromate
02-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Yeah, look through the sdk for "remote shopping cart".

flyingpylon
02-17-2004, 12:31 PM
The remote cart is an option, but then you're increasing your reliance on AWS which can be flakey at times. The 7-day cache policy is a great way to decrease your reliance.... why would you want to do something that would absolutely require real-time interaction?

As long as you're selling new items directly from Amazon, there's a lot more you can do with a local cart. You just transfer the items to the Amazon cart when the customer wants to check out. The remote cart isn't required for that last step.

Of course, you either have to find an existing cart or develop one yourself, which I realize will limit your options.

RockNRollPig
02-18-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by flyingpylon
The remote cart is an option, but then you're increasing your reliance on AWS which can be flakey at times. The 7-day cache policy is a great way to decrease your reliance.... why would you want to do something that would absolutely require real-time interaction?

As long as you're selling new items directly from Amazon, there's a lot more you can do with a local cart. You just transfer the items to the Amazon cart when the customer wants to check out. The remote cart isn't required for that last step.

Of course, you either have to find an existing cart or develop one yourself, which I realize will limit your options. What would be the best way to create a local shopping cart? How would I store each item a user selects? Would sessions work for that? Any tips on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

flyingpylon
02-18-2004, 06:44 PM
I would find a good tutorial on PHP-based shopping carts. I'd probably start by searching SitePoint http://www.sitepoint.com.

I'd recommend that you use a database to store the cart contents. But you could also use sessions or even cookies if necessary. There are a lot of different ways to accomplish the same thing.