PDA

View Full Version : File Name VS Directory Name

Yasodaran
02-14-2004, 03:21 PM
I know Chris uses domain.com/file-name/ structure on his sites and obviously it is an effective method but I have read elsewhere that having a file name in the root directory is better than having a file in a sub directory i.e.

domain.com/file-name/

VS

domain.com/file-name.html

Is this true?

Also does capitilisation of the file name have any effect on its keyword weighting? i.e.

domain.com/file-name.html

VS

domain.com/File-Name.html

incka
02-14-2004, 03:31 PM
I don't think google cares about capitalisation in files. I always use the fake-folder-php method.

Chris
02-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Capitalization or placement in the directory structure is irrelevant.

domain.com/file-name/ actually has a higher density than domain.com/file-name.html though so the first method is better.

pas
02-14-2004, 04:09 PM
I really don't think keyword density in the URL matters much. No?

incka
02-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Um, Just include the keyword in every sentence in your page, using captialization on it, and write about 4 paragraphs. Thats my SEO tip. It worked for me, I bet about 10 sites with a PR of 4 with a site without PR... When I get some PR I'll beat the only one still above me easily...

Yasodaran
02-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your advice guys I'll be going with the domain.com/file-name/ approach.

Chris
02-14-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by pas
I really don't think keyword density in the URL matters much. No?

If the url is used as the anchor text of a link it matters.

pas
02-14-2004, 04:43 PM
True, but I can't think of any sites offhand (other than maybe SERPs that don't have PR) that use the URL as link text. I imagine "http://www.mydomain.com/acme-products" would be considerably less effective than "Acme Products". But I use "acme-products", etc. for directory/file names anyhow...