PDA

View Full Version : How do 'You've Won' banners make money?

incka
02-13-2004, 11:55 AM
There all over the place, most text-based content sites filter them out, but they are popular on entertainment sites, but how do they make money?

Chris
02-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Generally your "prize" is something like a rebate and or coupon on a purchase. Or to "redeem" it you need to enter your email address.

This works the same way coupons do really. Putting coupons in the newspaper is a marketing technique for businesses. You're getting a deal but the business is still making money off you and they're getting you in their store/restaurant so maybe you'll like it and come again.

incka
02-13-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm sure it must be more than this... How come they have such a higher CPM than other banners? I found one that was a holiday thing, could they be time-share companies?

Chris
02-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Generally they don't have high CPMs, atleast when you consider how many clicks they get.

chromate
02-13-2004, 03:30 PM
I found that quite often they tend to lead to something completely un-related where you don't win anything or get a discount or anything like that. They're just used to get people to click.

ozgression
02-13-2004, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it's all about clickthru rates with those banners.
________
vaporizer (http://vaporizer.org/)

shim
02-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by chromate
I found that quite often they tend to lead to something completely un-related where you don't win anything or get a discount or anything like that. They're just used to get people to click.

I've had the same experience, too.