PDA

View Full Version : Any Pointers

sevenerj
06-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm familiar with what PHP, CSS, HTML, Javascript is but haven't actually written with any. I'm new to this web building thing and I'm interested in learning or hearing from you guys how you started. I have my domain name and Have Godaddy hosting my site. They told me I could used Frontpage to setup my site but I find Frontpage to be inadequate for my needs. I want to start up a discussion site where users can upload pictures with comments and rankings. I'd also like to have my users have the ability to post their issues, comments, or questions with the chance for replies kinda like a forum or blog. Does anyone have any pointers they can shoot my way. I dont want to pay for a designer or programmer, I'd like to learn myself but if there's software out there that is relatively cheap i'd like to give it a go. Anything you could throw my way would be great. Thanks for your time.

Jason

Blue Cat Buxton
06-26-2008, 03:06 AM
Have a look at some opensource (free) content management systems (CMS). You could do worse than start with Wordpress, which is easy to set up and has lots of plugins that add more functionality.

sevenerj
06-26-2008, 06:07 PM
Do you have any experience with Joomia. I've heard great reviews about it, whats your's or anyone's take on Joomia?