PDA

View Full Version : A question of spam, do you require email verification.

Chris
06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
If there is one aspect for forum registration that trips up lay users, or otherwise fails, it is the email verification.

The emails get blocked by spam filters, the people can't figure out how to do it, whatever, and it forces people who want to post to wait for their email confirmation to begin posting, at which point they may use interest.

The downsides of not requiring email verification is, if the email is incorrect, you'll get a ton of bounces if the people set up any email based subscriptions/notifications.

Also, of course spam, except spammers have email verification long since beat, so it seems like a moot point to still include it for anti-spam protection.

I think perhaps it'd be nice if vBulletin had a feature whereby you could allow people with unconfirmed emails to post, but not allow them access to any email based features to avoid bounces. Hmm... I know I can set unconfirmed people to post, but I don't recall seeing options to turn off subscriptions and other notifications for such.

Todd W
06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
If there is one aspect for forum registration that trips up lay users, or otherwise fails, it is the email verification.

The emails get blocked by spam filters, the people can't figure out how to do it, whatever, and it forces people who want to post to wait for their email confirmation to begin posting, at which point they may use interest.

The downsides of not requiring email verification is, if the email is incorrect, you'll get a ton of bounces if the people set up any email based subscriptions/notifications.

Also, of course spam, except spammers have email verification long since beat, so it seems like a moot point to still include it for anti-spam protection.

I think perhaps it'd be nice if vBulletin had a feature whereby you could allow people with unconfirmed emails to post, but not allow them access to any email based features to avoid bounces. Hmm... I know I can set unconfirmed people to post, but I don't recall seeing options to turn off subscriptions and other notifications for such.

You would think this would be a default option in VB.
Non-Verified users = NO subscriptions, it only makes sense.

Maybe open a ticket with VB about it.

s2kinteg916
06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
I believe this is what your looking for

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138884