PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Quote Lovers- Site review please

Kerry1978
06-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am somewhat new to this, but am hoping for some feedback on my first attempt at a website...

I started in late February and this is what of got to date: http://www.quotesinsight.com

Please note that I started with no css and have slowly been updating pages, therefore you may come across some of the older ones.

Let me know what you think, any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Chris
06-23-2008, 04:50 PM
the design is reasonable, though a little 1990's with the graphic based rollovers and the shading.

The border around the RSS buttons at the bottom left is also unnecessary.

deathshadow
06-28-2008, 03:05 AM
Appearance:
Don't care for the fixed width, the yellow text on orange in script is effectively illegible and the lack of styling on the alt text makes it just as illegible images off. The orange bar in the "what's new" spanning down all that distance looks bad, but apart from that I've seen WAY worse lately. At least the text in your content area appears to be obeying the system metric so the important part - the page text, IS legible.

Code:
327 Validation errors... WOW. That's treading into 'learn HTML' territory aka "Why bother even including a doctype" - uses the stupid mm_swap javascripts for mouse rollovers meaning we can likely point the finger at that steaming pile of CRAP known as Dreamweaver. You've got tables wrapping single TD - which begs the question why use a table... Your heading orders make little or no sense, your content paragraphs aren't marked up as paragraphs, it's chock full of wasteful and redundant presentational markup, and I'd say to 'fix it' it would likely be faster to throw it all out and start over from scratch - as evidenced by the 23k HTML for a measly 5k of content.