Which domain would be better?

keyword-keyword.net

keywordkeyword.info

Mike
02-12-2004, 12:41 AM
I think keyword-keyword.net

incka
02-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Depends on if it is an information site, then go with .info, or not, then go with -.net...

chromate
02-12-2004, 02:59 AM
Also depends what the information's about. For example, if it's something that's not techy at all like, flowers or something, then go with .info

The hyphonated .net would be slightly better as far as the search engines are concerned though. But the domain may just not sound right with the .net. Depends what it is.

MarkB
02-12-2004, 03:12 AM
My thinking is:

- if you're after mainly search engine traffic, go for the hyphenated name. either info or net, doesn't matter.

- if you're after return users, then use the unhyphenated name, with .net. It's easier to remember.

Chris
02-12-2004, 08:53 AM
I would always use .net over .info.

chromate
02-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Why? For example, makeup-tips.net just sounds plain wrong. makeup-tips.info works far better. I actually think people would remember it better too.

My South Beach Diet site, as an example, is doing very well. I don't think it would be doing any better if the name was a .net . The .info works far better because it's an information based site.

MarkB
02-12-2004, 09:19 AM
How many net-illiterate people (which is the majority of people, such as those who only have it at work) know there's a .info extension?

Hell, I try not to even use .net or .org if I can help it, simply because most 'normal' people use .com if they're trying to remember a site's name.

chromate
02-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Exactly. Most people know think ".com everything". So if you've not got the choice of using .com then I don't really think it makes any difference if you use .net or .info. I reckon people treat them pretty much the same. I think people are slightly more comfortable using .org though. But at the end of the day, I don't think it's going to make an awful lot of difference unless you're into radio advertising ;)

Chris
02-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Some scripts that look for 3 letter tlds get fouled up by .info too. At one point that included Google.

incka
02-12-2004, 10:46 AM
On the topic of different lenght TLDs, when are .aero & .mueseum launching?

Mike
02-12-2004, 11:10 AM
I would have preferred to use patio-furniture.net instead of .info, but .net was taken.

BTW, Googlebot started crawling all my product pages today:D

incka
02-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Lucky Mike!

Which would you prefer to use keyword-keyword.biz or keywordkeyword.ws ?

ozgression
02-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by MarkB
How many net-illiterate people (which is the majority of people, such as those who only have it at work) know there's a .info extension?

Hell, I try not to even use .net or .org if I can help it, simply because most 'normal' people use .com if they're trying to remember a site's name.

This is exactly my opinion, too... 99% of people aren't internet savvy. Heck, "Google" is one of the most searched for terms on the net...
________
Groove (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Groove)

incka
02-13-2004, 03:50 AM
I wonder how many people search for google on google...