PDA

View Full Version : Wikis

Hans Tanza
06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to set up a public access wiki site very much like Wikipedia (but with different content obviously!). The problem is, I'm a total beginner and having spent a couple of hours on the Media Wiki website I have been put off by talk of Apache servers, signatures and keys and the like. Surely there is an easier way?? I've had a look at other sites such as wikispaces, but these seem to be tailored towards very small-scale projects for niche hobbies or educational resources etc. Is there a wiki host out there that could support a potentially very large amount of traffic? If so, why would anyone go down the seemingly very complicated Media Wiki route? As you can tell I'm very confused - there are loads of webhosts out there that allow the non-initiated to create websites in minutes, but I can't seem to find the equivalent for wikis. Any advice gratefully received!

Hans Tanza
06-10-2008, 03:36 AM
OK, so now I've found a mediawiki hosting site offering 750GB webspace and 7500GB monthly bandwidth. How much is that in real terms? Ie. How many pages does 750GB equate to, and how many hits equates to 7500GB bandwidth? Or is it not as simple as that?

Thank you!

Chris
06-10-2008, 08:02 AM
7.5 tb of bandwidth is more than you'll need.

750 gb of space is also way more than you'd ever need.

My literature site which includes a forum with half a million posts and the full text of nearly 4000 books is like 5gb.