PDA

View Full Version : For Dummies?

ZadoAsh
06-06-2008, 07:52 AM
So, I was thinking the other day that if I wanted to make a site on say Home Networking I could simply buy the Home Networking For Dummies book read it and have better knowledge for the site I'm making that would be based upon Home Networking.

Would anyone recommend me doing this? or is it a bad approach (I actually know nothing about home networking but I'm also not planning on starting a site on it lol)

It's a tricky one I think, since you should always do a website on what you know about, what you good at etc. But with a For Dummies book it does give you the basics and in some cases more (Like my HTML 4 book!) so what do you think about using a For Dummies book to help you write the content for your website or what products you'd want to advertise/promote or even sell.

Just wondering, I'm a browser based game guy more than a general website person :P But if I was to ever reach out I know what resource to buy first :P

Dan Schulz
06-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Depends. Are you planning on using the organization and overall layout for inspiration, copy the content and recast it in your own words, or something else entirely?

ZadoAsh
07-05-2008, 02:46 AM
I would use the information in them to be able to write information about the products or services I'm providing (and that way it would sound like I know what I'm on about ;) )

I won't be copying it, just reproducing it. Like taking notes in an English lesson then writing up an essay, that kind of thing.

Dan Schulz
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Ah, so you'd be recasting in your own words. Well, as long as you came up with a unique (not as in one-in-a-kind, but different) way of presenting the information, you should be fine (bear in mind I am not a lawyer though).